Putting Nature and People at the Centre of Food System Transformation Training Resource
The ‘Putting Nature and People at the Centre of Food System Transformation’ training program, created by the TEEBAgrifood for Business project team, aims to support businesses towards creating a nature-positive, socially just food system.
This self-guided training program is available to download below for free, to be completed at your own pace.
Learners will discover the theory behind a capitals assessment, and by the end of this training program learners will have gained an understanding of how to measure and value impacts and dependencies on nature and people as well as how to act on this understanding of these interactions. Learners will utilise the TEEBAgrifood Operational Guidelines for Business throughout.
This page contains all the resources needed for learners to be able to complete the program.
Further information and trainers package per module, along with editable slide decks are available via request. If you are interested in delivering the course as a trainer in hosted sessions, please contact us here.
This program is not accredited, it is intended to support our hubs in their capacity building but can also be an entirely self-guided learning journey.
Module 1: Frame- why a capitals assessment is relevant to my business?
Module 1 will enable learners to:
- Understand the learning objectives of the overall training programme
- Understand the challenges and the solution to preserve value for nature, people and business
- Be introduced to the TEEBAgrifood Operational Guidelines for Business and the first stage: Frame (Why?)
- Become familiar with and have practised the key concepts of the capitals approach, including the capitals, stocks and flows, impacts and dependencies and risks and opportunities
Download the Module 1 slide deck here.
Module 2: Scope- what would be an appropriate objective and scope for my capitals assessment?
Module 2 will enable learners to:
- Be introduced to the second stage of the TEEBAgrifood Operational Guidelines for Business – Scope
- Learn how to set an objective for a capitals assessment
- Learn how to identify the target audience and stakeholders of a capitals assessment
- Understand the different ways businesses can impact and depend on nature, people and society and understand the steps of an impact and dependency pathway
- Learn how to prioritize impacts and dependencies using the prioritization matrix template
Download the Module 2 slide deck here.
Module 3: Measure & Value – how to start measuring and valuing your impacts and dependencies on the capitals?
Module 3 will enable learners to:
- Gain an understanding of the third stage of the TEEBAgrifood Operational Guidelines for Business – Measure & Value
- Understand how to map impacts and dependencies across a value chain
- Understand how to use indicators to measure impact drivers, dependencies and value consequences of the changes in the capitals
- Gain inspiration from businesses that have measured and valued their impacts and dependencies on the capitals
Download the Module 3 slide deck here.
Module 4: Apply – how to interpret and verify the results of the assessment and how to take action?
Module 4 will enable learners to:
- Understand the ways to interpret, validate and verify your assessment process and results
- Understand the ways in which to communicate results internally and externally
- Understand how businesses can apply the results of a capital assessment to drive transformative and impactful change
Download the Module 4 slide deck here.
The Trainee Workbook have been developed to support workers throughout Putting Nature and People at the Centre of Food System Transformation.
The Trainee Workbook includes:
- Exercises associated with the modules, with space to complete these
- Exercises which will assist in the completion of a user template
- Space for note-taking
Download the Trainee Workbook here.
The Capitals Coalition is a global collaboration redefining value to transform decision-making.
Join the Coalition
Become part of a dynamic global collaboration of leaders and leading organizations who have united around a purpose-driven ambition.
Sign-up for updates
Benefit from the Coalition’s unique overview of the capitals approach and community, gain insights into the latest thinking and developments and receive newsletters and project updates.
Collaborate and connect through our new community platform. Build relationships within the community, collaborate with peers, explore challenges and opportunities and co-create solutions in a pre-competitive forum.